URS to Develop Natural Capital System for National Grid
National Grid awarded a contract to engineering and construction firm URS to develop a framework on natural capital and ecosystem servicesâ€”a system that will place a value on the goods and services provided by nature.
URS will advise National Grid on how its business operations might affect the natural world and how the products of nature could impactÂ theÂ UK energy company. Ultimately, URS will help develop and embed a natural capital and ecosystem services program into National Grid’s broader sustainability strategy.
Natural capitalÂ comprises the earthâ€™s natural assets (soil, air, water, flora and fauna) and the ecosystem services resulting from them.Â Natural capital accounting is the process of placing a dollar value on a companyâ€™s natural capital impacts in a way that is consistent and scientifically valid.
National Grid plans to introduce its natural capital and ecosystem services approach at a minimum of 50 sites over the next eight years. URS is looking at a sample of 10 sites to develop the framework and guidelines that will eventually be rolled out across National Grid’s entire portfolio.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses