Global Alliance Events Recycled 1,300 Metric Tons
Global Alliance events recycled 1,300 metric tons of waste created from its events in 2013.
The five venues on four continents include: Durban International Convention Centre (South Africa); Adelaide Convention Centre (Australia); Centro Banamex (Mexico); ACC Liverpool (United Kingdom); Boston Convention & Exhibition Center and Hynes Convention Center (United States).
Centro Banamex in Mexico has achieved its Earthcheck Silver Certification by placing organic and inorganic waste receptacles throughout the site complex and everything is then sent to a waste recycling plant.
The Massachusetts Convention Center Authority’s recycling program diverts 42 per cent of its waste from landfills and also encompasses purchasing a wide variety of recycled products. The organization also donates clean, usable, non-perishable items from events to local non-profits for reuse.
Durban ICC was the first venue, and remains one of only two venues, in Africa to be ISO 14001 accredited. ACC Liverpool is the only BREEAM and ISO 14001 accredited venue in the UK. Adelaide Convention Centre (ACC) achieved EarthCheck Gold certification and received gold status last year. The venue has an on-site worm farm and since inception in 2008 the worms have consumed 14,552 metric tons of kitchen scraps.
Photo: Cirifono Flickr photostream
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management