Sustainability Coming to Hazelnut Farming
The program will be implemented across three hazelnut producing regions: Trabzon and Giresun in the Northeast, and Duzce in the Northwest. About 175 farmers are expected to take part. UTZ members such as Migros/Delica AG, Natra and REWE Group are collaborating in this initiative.
During this pilot project UTZ Certified will apply a set of requirements covering safe and healthy working conditions, good agricultural practices and protection of the environment in order to bring the hazelnuts sector to sustainable production.
Turkey accounts for over 70 percent of hazelnut production worldwide, with the majority imported to European countries and used in the confectionery industry.
The requirements for sustainable hazelnut farming were developed in consultation with farmers, industry, governmental institutions and other stakeholders, the company said.
Energy Manager News
- Big Island Utility Hits 5-MW Cap on Customer-Operator Rooftop Solar Credits
- Benton PUD Announces 5% Rate Hike
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Keys to Energy Efficient Air Filtration
- Tracking the Exciting World of Solar Energy Research
- Colorado Mixing Solar, Weatherization
- Lighting Sector: 4% CAGR Through 2020
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: August 19, 2016
- New Hampshire Town Resists Door-to-Door Sales