Sustainability Coming to Hazelnut Farming
The program will be implemented across three hazelnut producing regions: Trabzon and Giresun in the Northeast, and Duzce in the Northwest. About 175 farmers are expected to take part. UTZ members such as Migros/Delica AG, Natra and REWE Group are collaborating in this initiative.
During this pilot project UTZ Certified will apply a set of requirements covering safe and healthy working conditions, good agricultural practices and protection of the environment in order to bring the hazelnuts sector to sustainable production.
Turkey accounts for over 70 percent of hazelnut production worldwide, with the majority imported to European countries and used in the confectionery industry.
The requirements for sustainable hazelnut farming were developed in consultation with farmers, industry, governmental institutions and other stakeholders, the company said.
Energy Manager News
- Lunera Intros Pathway and Entryway LED
- FPL to Buy and Phase Out Coal-Powered Plant, Saving Customers $129M
- Environmental, Health and Safety Software Moves Forward
- Johnson Controls: Interest, Investment in Energy Efficiency Up
- First-Ever Statewide Endorsement of Retail Supplier, by Delaware, Goes to Direct Energy
- Oberlin, Ohio, Ratepayers to Receive $2.2M in Rebates for Sale of RECs
- GM’s Renewable Efforts Build from the Ground Up
- Fairbanks Completes 4 Building Project in MA