Sustainability Coming to Hazelnut Farming
The program will be implemented across three hazelnut producing regions: Trabzon and Giresun in the Northeast, and Duzce in the Northwest. About 175 farmers are expected to take part. UTZ members such as Migros/Delica AG, Natra and REWE Group are collaborating in this initiative.
During this pilot project UTZ Certified will apply a set of requirements covering safe and healthy working conditions, good agricultural practices and protection of the environment in order to bring the hazelnuts sector to sustainable production.
Turkey accounts for over 70 percent of hazelnut production worldwide, with the majority imported to European countries and used in the confectionery industry.
The requirements for sustainable hazelnut farming were developed in consultation with farmers, industry, governmental institutions and other stakeholders, the company said.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending May 22
- Future Is Bright for Solar at Stanford
- Noresco Named Qualified Energy Performance Contractor in New Mexico
- Home Depot Sells Cree LED Flood Light for $9.97
- Professional Laundering Facility Installs Cogeneration
- PowerWise Offers Web Controls for Mini-Split Heat Pumps
- DOE Spends $32M to Boost Solar Workforce Training, Technology Innovation
- Trane Partners with Telkonet for Hotel Industry