Toolkit for Reducing Food Waste Posted
A new toolkit aimed at reducing food waste has been released by food manufacturers, retailers and foodservice operators.
The Best Practices and Emerging Solutions Toolkit was released by the Food Waste Reduction Alliance (FWRA), a cross-sector industry initiative led by the Food Marketing Institute (FMI), the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) and the National Restaurant Association (NRA).
Overall findings indicate that approximately 80 billion pounds of food is discarded in US landfills each year. FWRA members have the opportunity to have a significant impact, with restaurants accounting for 37 percent, manufacturers for 3 percent, and retailers for 2 percent, the group says.
Topics discussed include:
- Tactics for overcoming obstacles to food donation such as liability and supply chain issues
- Emerging solutions and new technologies for recycling food waste, including energy production opportunities
- Strategic planning to avoid food waste generation
The toolkit also offers a “Getting Started” section for companies considering food waste reduction strategies.
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter Podcast: A New Metric for Datacenter Cooling
- The Advantages of Metal Roofs
- PACE Loan Program in Pulaski County, AK
- Online Tool Introduced in Vermont
- SWL&P Looks to Increase Electric Revenues by Over $2 Million
- Schneider Electric’s NEO Network: Helping Make Efficiency Projects Real
- Efficiency Project Complete in Meriden, CT
- BuildingIQ Makes 2 Moves