Stepan Launches Sustainable Surfactant
Surfactant manufacturer Stepan has launched Steposol Met-10U, a surfactant derived from natural oils that is targeted to displace solvents.
This cleaning solution is the first commercial product launched by Stepan as part of its joint development agreement with Elevance Renewable Sciences. The development agreement was established to develop and commercialize new surfactants and other products by combining Elevance’s Inherent renewable building blocks with Stepan’s derivatization and application capabilities.
The product utilizes a naturally derived, metathesized feedstock to form a bio-based surfactant that helps users achieve sustainability goals while improving cleaning performance. The applications for Steposol Met-10U include adhesive removal, paint and coating removal systems, kitchen degreasers and all-purpose cleaners for both industrial and consumer uses.
As an adhesive remover, it provides equivalent removal of various adhesives at 5 perecent concentration in aqueous phase compared with 100 percent N-methyl pyrrolidone, the company says.
As a paint remover, it achieves safe and efficient removal of latex paint at 5 percent concentration in aqueous phase compared with 100 percent solvent systems with methylene chloride.
Steposol Met-10U specific product attributes include its Kauri-butanol value greater than 1000; boiling point of 297°C; Biorenewable Carbon Index of 75 percent; and formulating pH range of 3-12. Stepan says these parameters create a high-strength and non-volatile surfactant, which provides faster and more effective cleaning by fulfilling the role of both a low HLB surfactant and a strong solvent.
Energy Manager News
- Getting Serious About Energy Metrics
- Honeywell Smart Building Technology Uses ‘Tablet-Like’ Visualization
- Micro Wind Turbines Top Intel Headquarters
- Neon LED Strip Light Prevents Dangers of Actual Neon Light
- Framingham Saves $380,000 per Year with ESPC
- FlexEnergy Commissions Multiple 250 KW Gas Turbines in Seoul
- Corporations Rally to Streamline Renewable Energy Procurement
- Solar Trees Provide Shade, Electricity, EV Charging