Stepan Launches Sustainable Surfactant
Surfactant manufacturer Stepan has launched Steposol Met-10U, a surfactant derived from natural oils that is targeted to displace solvents.
This cleaning solution is the first commercial product launched by Stepan as part of its joint development agreement with Elevance Renewable Sciences. The development agreement was established to develop and commercialize new surfactants and other products by combining Elevance’s Inherent renewable building blocks with Stepan’s derivatization and application capabilities.
The product utilizes a naturally derived, metathesized feedstock to form a bio-based surfactant that helps users achieve sustainability goals while improving cleaning performance. The applications for Steposol Met-10U include adhesive removal, paint and coating removal systems, kitchen degreasers and all-purpose cleaners for both industrial and consumer uses.
As an adhesive remover, it provides equivalent removal of various adhesives at 5 perecent concentration in aqueous phase compared with 100 percent N-methyl pyrrolidone, the company says.
As a paint remover, it achieves safe and efficient removal of latex paint at 5 percent concentration in aqueous phase compared with 100 percent solvent systems with methylene chloride.
Steposol Met-10U specific product attributes include its Kauri-butanol value greater than 1000; boiling point of 297°C; Biorenewable Carbon Index of 75 percent; and formulating pH range of 3-12. Stepan says these parameters create a high-strength and non-volatile surfactant, which provides faster and more effective cleaning by fulfilling the role of both a low HLB surfactant and a strong solvent.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners