Direct Store Delivery ‘Can Save $3M Annually’
Consumer goods suppliers can save millions of dollars by evaluating and improving Direct Store Delivery (DSD) operations — the way that products are ordered, sold, delivered and merchandised — according to a report from Honeywell.
The report, which contains feedback from 350 C-level consumer goods executives and directors from across the globe, finds that 49 percent of organizations feel increased transportation costs have severely impacted profit margins in the past 12 months. But those organizations that have carried out process evaluations (known as process re-engineering) in the past year to improve their DSD processes have cut, or expect to cut, costs on average by $734,000 annually.
Additionally, approximately 20 percent of all respondents have experienced, or expect to experience, at least $1 million a year in tangible cost-savings through DSD process re-engineering, and about 20 percent of companies with 3,000 or more employees anticipate saving at least $3 million.
According to the report, the top five areas identified by survey respondents for cost improvement are:
- Fuel and petrol costs: $889,000 projected average annual savings
- Merchandising: $725,000 projected average annual savings
- Delivery receiving/check-in: $686,000 projected average annual savings
- Delivery: $682,000 projected average annual savings
- Payment procedures: $665,000 projected average annual savings
Respondents also said time, as well as money, could be saved across key workflow areas. Through making improvements to delivery, truck loading, delivery receiving/check-in, merchandising and order processes, respondents indicate that approximately 30 minutes could be saved in each of those five areas per route, per day, equating to more than 2.5 hours per day for each DSD route.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management