Direct Store Delivery ‘Can Save $3M Annually’
Consumer goods suppliers can save millions of dollars by evaluating and improving Direct Store Delivery (DSD) operations — the way that products are ordered, sold, delivered and merchandised — according to a report from Honeywell.
The report, which contains feedback from 350 C-level consumer goods executives and directors from across the globe, finds that 49 percent of organizations feel increased transportation costs have severely impacted profit margins in the past 12 months. But those organizations that have carried out process evaluations (known as process re-engineering) in the past year to improve their DSD processes have cut, or expect to cut, costs on average by $734,000 annually.
Additionally, approximately 20 percent of all respondents have experienced, or expect to experience, at least $1 million a year in tangible cost-savings through DSD process re-engineering, and about 20 percent of companies with 3,000 or more employees anticipate saving at least $3 million.
According to the report, the top five areas identified by survey respondents for cost improvement are:
- Fuel and petrol costs: $889,000 projected average annual savings
- Merchandising: $725,000 projected average annual savings
- Delivery receiving/check-in: $686,000 projected average annual savings
- Delivery: $682,000 projected average annual savings
- Payment procedures: $665,000 projected average annual savings
Respondents also said time, as well as money, could be saved across key workflow areas. Through making improvements to delivery, truck loading, delivery receiving/check-in, merchandising and order processes, respondents indicate that approximately 30 minutes could be saved in each of those five areas per route, per day, equating to more than 2.5 hours per day for each DSD route.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland