Direct Store Delivery ‘Can Save $3M Annually’
Consumer goods suppliers can save millions of dollars by evaluating and improving Direct Store Delivery (DSD) operations — the way that products are ordered, sold, delivered and merchandised — according to a report from Honeywell.
The report, which contains feedback from 350 C-level consumer goods executives and directors from across the globe, finds that 49 percent of organizations feel increased transportation costs have severely impacted profit margins in the past 12 months. But those organizations that have carried out process evaluations (known as process re-engineering) in the past year to improve their DSD processes have cut, or expect to cut, costs on average by $734,000 annually.
Additionally, approximately 20 percent of all respondents have experienced, or expect to experience, at least $1 million a year in tangible cost-savings through DSD process re-engineering, and about 20 percent of companies with 3,000 or more employees anticipate saving at least $3 million.
According to the report, the top five areas identified by survey respondents for cost improvement are:
- Fuel and petrol costs: $889,000 projected average annual savings
- Merchandising: $725,000 projected average annual savings
- Delivery receiving/check-in: $686,000 projected average annual savings
- Delivery: $682,000 projected average annual savings
- Payment procedures: $665,000 projected average annual savings
Respondents also said time, as well as money, could be saved across key workflow areas. Through making improvements to delivery, truck loading, delivery receiving/check-in, merchandising and order processes, respondents indicate that approximately 30 minutes could be saved in each of those five areas per route, per day, equating to more than 2.5 hours per day for each DSD route.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls