Top 10 Countries for LEED Outside the US
Canada tops the list of the top 10 countries for LEED outside of the US with 17.74 millionÂ gross square meters of LEED space.
Collectively, Canada boasts 4,068 total LEED-registered and -certified projects, representing 58.66 million total gross square meters of LEED space, according to the US Green Building Council.
To date, projects teams in more than 140 countries and territories have implemented LEED in their building projects. The ranking of the top 10 countries for LEED outside of the US is based on cumulative gross square meters of space certified to LEED in each nation as of April 2014.
China and India, two of the worldâ€™s fastest growing economies and rapid adopters of green building practices, took second and third place on the list, respectively boasting 14.30 million and 11.64 millionÂ gross square meters of LEED-certified space.
Other Asian nations in the top 10 include South Korea, at No. 4 with 3.84 millionÂ gross square meters of LEED-certified space; Taiwan, at No. 5 with 2.98 million gross square meters; and Singapore, at No. 8 with 2.16 million gross square meters.
In Europe, Germany and Finland secured spots 6 and 10, respectively â€” Germany with 2.90 millionÂ gross square meters of LEED-certified space and Finland with 1.45 million.
In South America, Brazil stood at No. 7 on the list, with 2.85 million gross square meters, while the United Arab Emirates represented green building success in the Middle East, at No. 9 with 1.82 millionÂ gross square meters of LEED-certified space.
Earlier this year, the USGBC released its ranking of the Top 10 States for LEED-certified construction for last year with Illinois topping the list.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses