What Food Companies Can Do to Promote Sustainable Development
The UN Global Compact has introduced a set of global voluntary business principles for the food and agriculture sector.
The UN Global Compact says the six principles are designed to complement many existing initiatives that advance sustainability in food and agriculture, and serve as an umbrella over voluntary standards and technical compliance platforms. They provide agreed global language on what constitutes sustainability in food and agriculture on issues ranging from food security, health and nutrition, to human rights, good governance, and environmental stewardship, as well as ensuring economic viability across the entire value chain.
- Aim for food security, health and nutrition.
- Be environmentally responsible.
- Ensure economic viability and share value.
- Respect human rights, create decent work and help communities to thrive.
- Encourage good governance and accountability.
- Promote access and transfer of knowledge, skills and technology.
The FAB Principles provide a common basis for substantive sustainability reports to be developed and compared between organizations operating in the food, nutrition and agricultural sectors.
UN Global Compact corporate participants from the food and agriculture sector can use the Principles to disclose their sustainability policies and practices in their required annual Communication on Progress (COP). Reporting through the COP will demonstrate how an organization’s activities are aligned with the FAB Principles, as well as achievements that contribute to meeting the global challenges of food security and sustainable agriculture.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management