Cleantech Open Expands into Six Countries
Clean-technology accelerator the Cleantech Open is expanding its program for cleantech startups to six countries.
In partnership with the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) and local executing partners, the Cleantech Open is launching six international cleantech accelerators in Armenia, India, Malaysia, Pakistan, South Africa and Turkey. The mission of each national accelerator is to find, fund and foster small and medium-size enterprises (SMEs) that can tackle the most urgent energy, environmental and economic challenges in those countries.
In the US, about 900 startups have participated in the Cleantech Open accelerator and raised capital in excess of $900 million, creating thousands of jobs.
Participating countries will have access to the UNIDO’s in-country resources and to the Cleantech Open’s proprietary events, training, materials and an online global platform that connects entrepreneurs to a global network of mentors, industry experts and investors. Each national cleantech accelerator is led by national executing partners and teams in country, hosted by major institutions, universities, and supported by local industrial associations and stakeholders.
In November, the Cleantech Open awarded PowWow Energy the Grand Prize Cleanie award worth $200,000 for the Top Cleantech Entrepreneur of the year. PowWow Energy has developed technology that enables farmers and ranchers to quickly detect water leaks that can destroy an entire crop or cause thousands of dollars of damage.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners