Recyclebank Helps City Increase Recycling 323%
Recyclebank has helped the city of Rochester Hills, Mich., increase pounds of materials recycled by 323 percent since 2008.
Recyclebank, in partnership with Republic Services, and Rochester Hills work together to reward residents for taking more sustainable actions, like recycling, with discounts and deals at local and national businesses. Also in 2008, Rochester Hills expanded its household recycling program and implemented single stream collection.
Since 2009, residents have increased recycling to an average rate of 670 pounds per household per year with a 27 percent diversion rate. Overall, Rochester Hills has collected nearly 22 thousand incremental recycling tons since April 2009.
Through its program, Recyclebank has also helped stimulate the local economy. A combination of dollars saved by residents and dollars spent at local businesses as a result of reward redemption adds up to more than $1.9 million since January 2011.
Recyclebank is one of the companies listed on the most recent Global Cleantech 100 list and report. The fifth annual list, compiled by Cleantech Group, recognizes the companies most likely to have a significant market impact over the next five to 10 years, according to the global consulting firm.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight