Recycling Stations Move Farmer Bros. Toward Landfill Diversion Goal
Farmer Bros. has chosen Pacific Cascadeâ€™s GreenDrop Recycling Stations to divert its recyclable and compostable waste from landfills, helping the coffee and foodservice supply company reach its goal of 100 percent landfill diversion by 2015.
The GreenDrop Recycling Station was designed through multi-year efforts of the Portland Trail Blazers head office and the Moda Center. The arenaâ€™s landfill diversion rate increased from 38 percent in 2007 to over 90 percent in 2013, in part by replacing old-style garbage cans with the recycling and compost stations.
Pacific Cascade says GreenDrop Recycling Stations will helpÂ Farmer Bros. reduce landfill contributions by enabling employees to easily self-sort recyclable and compostable items. This shrinks the companyâ€™s environmental footprint while minimizing waste hauling expenses.
In addition to the GreenDrop Recycling Stations diverting the composting and recycling waste streams,Â Farmer Bros. has developed programs to recycle an estimated 1,500,000 pounds of packaging machine waste from landfills each year.
Farmer Bros.Â receives more than 500,000 pounds of fiber bags per year used for shipping green coffee. These bags are now being repurposed for weed control in reclamation projects, tools for local farmers harvesting fruits and vegetables, bag-and-burlap for tree plantings, and more.
The company also has been taking at least 15,000 pounds per month of chaff from its Portland, Ore. facility left over from coffee processing and selling this material to companies producing natural fertilizers.
Last year Elephants Delicatessen in Portland installed GreenDrop Recycling Stations at its six Portland locations.
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV
- Walmart Saving Money While Driving Efficiency
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market