Alliance Formed to Push Maritime Sulfur Regulation
The companies met for an exploratory session in Copenhagen last week, at a full-day meeting hosted by Maersk Maritime Technology and Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics, and say they are on track to launch the Trident Alliance in the upcoming weeks. At that point, the group will announce the companies involved.
At the meeting, the companies agreed that the Trident Alliance will be a coalition of shipping owners and operators who share a common interest in robust enforcement of maritime sulfur regulation and are willing to collaborate to help bring it about. The Alliance will partner with other groups that share its interest in robust enforcement, collaborating on initiatives that support this objective.
The company representatives agreed to the Trident Alliance Principles and Terms of Reference and to work towards a shipping industry with effective enforcement of sulfur regulations to ensure their intended effect is reached and eliminate the risk of distortion to the competitive landscape.
The representatives will now present this basis to their respective companies and within a couple of weeks ensure the necessary anchoring and executive commitment. With that, the Trident Alliance will be formally established and the list of founding members will be announced.
In April, AkzoNobel’s Marine Coatings business and The Gold Standard Foundation developed a carbon credit methodology for the international shipping industry that they say is the first of its kind. Certification by The Gold Standard for the peer-reviewed methodology will allow ships to generate carbon credits — thus income — for the CO2 emission reductions they achieve.
Photo Credit: container ship via Shutterstock
Energy Manager News
- Arby’s Reports on Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives
- Navigant: Smart Meter Sector Has “Plateaued”
- Nuclear Giant Exelon Wants to Invest in Wind Energy in Ohio
- Poll: 75% of Large U.S. Corporations Say They Will Buy Renewables Within 18 Months
- Duke Energy Progress Customers to See Fuel Cost-Recovery Savings
- Energy-as-a-Service: Charting a Path Through Complexity
- Demand Energy, EnerSys Complete Storage Project
- Lunera Intros Pathway and Entryway LED