EOS Climate, Jaco Environmental Close the Loop on Refrigerants
EOS Climate’s Refrigerant Asset System (RAS) has been integrated across all 27 of Jaco Environmental’s appliance de-manufacturing facilities in the US.
The companies say this creates the world’s first transparent, cradle-to-cradle solution for refrigerants recovered from residential appliances and vending machines.
Refrigerants, which are thousands of times more potent greenhouse gases than CO2, are often released into the atmosphere due to improper handling of refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment at end-of-life.
It has historically been nearly impossible to ensure responsible handling of refrigerants due to a lack of transparency in the supply chain, the companies say. This has been a challenge for consumer facing brands attempting to ensure corporate social responsibility.
Jaco Environmental, which pioneered the de-manufacture process for refrigerators and vending machines in North America, says it is the first appliance recycler to accurately and efficiently track all refrigerants captured to ensure proper environmental outcomes. For chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) collected from older units, Jaco guarantees third-party verified, UNEP approved destruction; Jaco recovers and recycles newer hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), reducing demand for virgin HFC production.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments