Queen’s Speech Highlights Climate Goals
In her speech yesterday at the state opening of Parliament, the Queen identified zero-carbon homes, a plastic bag fee and other environmental policy goals for the UK government.
The Queen’s Speech sets the legislative agenda for the year. Included in this is legislation to “enable all new homes to be built to a zero carbon standard.” The bill, however, would not apply to small housing developments and would allow builders to pay a fee in lieu of meeting the standard, the Guardian reports.
The Queen also introduced a new 5p (8 cents) change on plastic bags “to help protect the environment” and said the government would “champion” an international climate agreement.
Energy Manager News
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Month’s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier