Queen’s Speech Highlights Climate Goals
In her speech yesterday at the state opening of Parliament, the Queen identified zero-carbon homes, a plastic bag fee and other environmental policy goals for the UK government.
The Queen’s Speech sets the legislative agenda for the year. Included in this is legislation to “enable all new homes to be built to a zero carbon standard.” The bill, however, would not apply to small housing developments and would allow builders to pay a fee in lieu of meeting the standard, the Guardian reports.
The Queen also introduced a new 5p (8 cents) change on plastic bags “to help protect the environment” and said the government would “champion” an international climate agreement.
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Keys to Energy Efficient Air Filtration
- Tracking the Exciting World of Solar Energy Research
- Colorado Mixing Solar, Weatherization
- Lighting Sector: 4% CAGR Through 2020
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: August 19, 2016
- New Hampshire Town Resists Door-to-Door Sales
- Minnesota Commerce Department Challenges Otter Tail Power Rate Hike
- An Interesting Summer for PACE