Queen’s Speech Highlights Climate Goals
In her speech yesterday at the state opening of Parliament, the Queen identified zero-carbon homes, a plastic bag fee and other environmental policy goals for the UK government.
The Queen’s Speech sets the legislative agenda for the year. Included in this is legislation to “enable all new homes to be built to a zero carbon standard.” The bill, however, would not apply to small housing developments and would allow builders to pay a fee in lieu of meeting the standard, the Guardian reports.
The Queen also introduced a new 5p (8 cents) change on plastic bags “to help protect the environment” and said the government would “champion” an international climate agreement.
Energy Manager News
- The Evolution of Customer Renewable Energy Choice
- Target, adidas, Walmart Honored for Efficient Roof-Top Units
- Rising Tide of Energy Storage Floats all Boats
- Better Buildings Alliance Launches Indoor Lighting Campaign for Commercial Buildings
- Scaling of Energy Storage Market Hinges on ESSI Vendors
- CalCom Solar to Deploy 1.1MW at Dairy
- Raritan Combines DCIM, IT Management for Data Centers
- Army to Save $113M Over 19 Years with CHP Plant