Bakery Achieves Landfill-Free Status
A Washington state bakery has achieved zero-waste status by recycling, reusing and repurposing all of its waste.
Franz Bakery, a 108-year-old family-owned company, eliminated waste at its Spokane bakery through a recycling program that encompasses all aspects of its operations, including product and packaging waste, scrap metals, used equipment lubricant oil, used fleet motor oil, paper, plastic and cardboard.
The company found creative uses for materials they had previously discarded. For example, it began recycling used auto oil through an auto parts store and filtering the bakery equipment lubricant oil to reuse as heating fuel for the EPA-certified heater in the companyâ€™s Fleet Shop, the truck maintenance garage.
The Spokane team also placed automatic hand dryers in the most heavily used areas in bakery to reduce the amount of paper towels thrown away. Anything that couldnâ€™t be recycled is now transferred to the waste-to-energy plant to help power the region.
The Franz bakeries in Seattle, Portland, and McMinnville are currently 98 percent landfill free. The company says its other bakeries are also working to reduce waste and it hopes to achieve landfill-free status in all nine of its bakeries in the upcoming months.
Other companies around the US are also stepping up their landfill-free efforts including General Motors with 110 landfill-free sites and MillerCoors, which has five landfill-free breweries.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses