Jersey Increases Recycling Capacity
St Helier Municipal Services in Jersey, Channel Islands, is increasing its recycling capacity and throughput for commercial and residential waste by upgrading its baling operation with a new horizontal baler and feed conveyor from Middleton Engineering.
This will increase flexibility to handle a wider range of waste streams and enable the team to produce compact mill size bales to drive transportation efficiencies, the municipality says.
St Helier Municipal Services is responsible for the collection and processing of card and packaging waste from 70 percent of the parish of St Helier’s commercial properties and residential recycling.
Jersey has a zero landfill policy. Any waste that is not recycled is incinerated at the Island’s energy-from-waste plant. The goal is to remove as much recyclable material as possible and these commodities are then baled and shipped off island for processing in France, the closest destination.
Transportation is the biggest expense and, in addition to improved throughput, a key requirement is to produce high quality compact bales, to ensure each container carries a maximum load, and at the same time satisfy St Helier’s French recycling partner and the reprocessing mills.
The new system is a Middleton ME80 closed-end, semi-automatic, horizontal baler with a bespoke feed conveyor. Where previously the team was only able to produce one bale per hour using a manually operated vertical baler, they are now achieving three in the same time and clearing the commodity as it comes in, the municipality says.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend