Global Water Stewardship Organization Open For Business
The Alliance for Water Stewardship (AWS), a global collaboration focused on sustainable water resource management, today announced an agreement with The Water Council to represent AWS in North America.
This announcement builds on recent commitments from top corporations, including Nestlé and General Mills to support AWS, and on the recent launch of the AWS International Water Stewardship Standard, a voluntary global framework for responsible water management.
AWS has received funding, expertise and test piloting from the following companies: A.O. Smith, Badger Meter, Bucyrus International (now Caterpillar), Diversey (now Sealed Air), MillerCoors, Quad/Graphics, Spirit of Milwaukee Foundation, Veolia North America and the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation.
The Nature Conservancy, an international conservation organization that co-founded AWS, engaged companies, utilities and other stakeholders in developing and testing the Standard in North America.
The AWS Standard was designed to align with other sustainability initiatives and support independent certification. AWS builds on the success of other voluntary standards such as the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED), the organization says.
To encourage understanding and engagement around water, AWS is launching a training program and membership opportunities.
Companies including AT&T, Deloitte, MillerCoors and Veolia see water scarcity as a business risk and a barrier to economic growth, according to a blog by Environmental Defense Fund published earlier this month.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight