Battery Recycling Firm Doubles Capacity
The West Midlands-based company says it was the first in Europe to install the system in 2012. Since then, the company has worked closely with its developers, Refind Technologies, to make further improvements. The result is a completely new model, which takes up a much smaller footprint yet is capable of sorting twice as many batteries as the original.
G & P now has the capacity to sort around 3 million cells per week using the system, which is designed to recognize and separate the most common battery brands and chemistries and so speed up the sorting process. The company says this will enable it to continue to manage the increase in volumes of portable waste batteries collected to enable the UK to meet its battery recycling obligations under the UK and EU targets.
In 2014 the UK target is to collect 35 percent of batteries placed on the market for recycling, an increase of 5 percent on last year.
Refind Technologies, based in Gottenburg, provides identification and sorting products to the recycling and reverse logistics industry. Refind’s systems allow individual products such as batteries, cell phones or other electronics to be recognized and sorted in preparation for recycling. Information derived from the sorted products provides opportunity for market intelligence, such as collection statistics, pricing or compliance reporting.
In North America, Staples Canada has set a goal to divert 100,000 kilograms of batteries from landfills in 2014 and says it, with partner Call2Recycle, has collected and diverted 30,295 kg of batteries in the first quarter this year.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV
- Walmart Saving Money While Driving Efficiency
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market