One-Third of Food Produced Is Wasted, Study Says
The company whose product lines include Bubble Wrap, Cryovac and Diversey commissioned the report to evaluate Americansâ food habits, sustainability practices, and overall awareness of food waste issues.
The studyâs key findings show that while there is growing concern and awareness of how much food is wasted in the US, most American consumers still donât consider their own households to be wasteful or a part of the problem: 67 percent say food waste is a concern; yet only 33 percent say food waste in their home is a concern.
While packaging plays a key role in preventing waste, the Sealed Air study also found that American consumers:
- Associate packaging more with safety than waste;
- See discarded packaging as worse for the environment than food waste and food that has minimal or no packaging being more environmentally friendly; and
- Will often behave contrary to their beliefs (50 percent rewrap food into new packaging when they are home).
According to the Sealed Air study, more than one-third of the food produced in the US is never eaten. This translates into:
- Fifty million tons of wasted food in the US;
- Lost profits for farmers and producers and higher prices for consumers;
- The use of 300 million barrels of oil per year, much of which could be re-allocated;
- One-quarter of all freshwater consumption; and
- A cost of $160 billion per year.
Food productsâ date labeling variations leads to confusion, which may cause financial loss for stores and manufacturers, and contribute to âsignificantâ food waste, according to a Walmart-funded scientific review paper published in this month’s issue of Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: Itâs About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M âSwitching Feeâ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform