How to Build Sustainable Communities
The Flood Resilience Checklist offers strategies that communities can consider, such as conserving land in flood-prone areas, directing new development to safer areas, and using green infrastructure approaches, such as installing rain gardens, to manage stormwater.
Climate change will likely cause more powerful storms in many parts of the US, according to EPA administrator Gina McCarthy. “Where and how communities build will have long-term impacts on their flood resilience, and on air and water quality and health and safety,” McCarthy says.
Flood-resilient building also makes better business sense. For example, Colorado’s unprecedented flooding last year hurt businesses in myriad ways, from health risks and environmental damage associated with flooded oil fields to fewer tourists visiting the state. The Weather Channel estimates that damages from the flooding could exceed $1 billion, once the damages to infrastructure, housing and agriculture have been assessed.
The checklist is part of a new report, Planning for Flood Recovery and Long-Term Resilience in Vermont: Smart Growth Approaches for Disaster-Resilient Communities. The report is a product of EPA’s year-long Smart Growth Implementation Assistance project in Vermont where EPA worked with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and state agencies, including the Agency of Commerce and Community Development, to help communities recover from Tropical Storm Irene.
Although the project focused on Vermont, the checklist in the report can help any community seeking to become more flood resilient, the EPA says.
Photo Credit: flood of 2013 in Linz, Austria via Shutterstock
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments