Elevance, Genting Enter Biorefinery Collaboration
Elevance Renewable Sciences, a specialty chemicals company, says it will partner with Genting Plantations Berhad to build a 240,000 metric ton biorefinery that uses Elevance’s metathesis technology to produce biochemicals from renewable oils.
The 25:75 collaboration between Elevance and Genting will produce renewable, high-performance olefins and specialty chemicals that can be used in multiple end-product applications, including lubricants, surfactants and detergents.
The biorefinery will be located in the Palm Oil Industrial Cluster (POIC) in Lahad Datu, Sabah, Malaysia.
The Elevance metathesis biorefinery technology produces multiple high-value chemical streams similar to petroleum-based refineries. Elevance’s low-pressure, low-temperature process uses Nobel Prize-winning innovations in metathesis catalysis that consume less energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50 percent compared to petrochemical technologies. An efficient, selective catalyst is used to break down natural oils and recombine fragments, resulting in a process with lower source pollution, production costs and capital expenditures than petrochemical refineries, Elevance says.
Earlier this year, Versalis and Elevance signed a memorandum of understanding to jointly develop and scale a metathesis technology to produce biochemicals from vegetable oils. The partners will assess the design and construction of the first world-scale ethylene metathesis-based production that will utilize renewable oils at the Versalis Porto Marghera site.
Energy Manager News
- Put Safety First in LED Installations
- Microsoft: Data Centers to Use 50% Renewables by 2018
- Solar Installation Dedicated in Brooklyn
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy Launches Its ‘Source-to-Pay’ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures