Cortec Launches Eco Moisture Barrier Paper
Cortec has launched a packaging product coated with a water-based barrier coating that is fully recyclable/repulpable while displaying barrier properties that the company says are better than those of wax or polyethylene coated paper or linerboards.
Unlike other barrier packaging products, EcoShield Paper can readily be recycled into other types of paper products such as boxes, cardboard and other corrugated materials as well as “repulped,” made into or mixed with pulp to make new paper products, Cortec says. There is no need for costly processes to separate the paper base from the coating.
The company says the product also shows oil and grease resistance, thus combining moisture barrier properties and oil and grease resistivity into one step.
In addition to being safe to the environment, EcoShield is in compliance with FDA regulations under 21 code of Federal Regulations for food contact. It can be used in applications where direct or indirect food contact may occur. In manufacturing process there is no chlorine or other bleaching chemicals, which eliminates package contamination found with other papers on the market.
EcoShield Paper also displays a greatly reduced moisture vapor transmission rate (MVTR), similar to polycoated papers and superior to waxed papers, the company says.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend