Bayer Launches Water-Saving Polyurethane Technology
Polymer producer Bayer MaterialScience has launched Insqin for polyurethane (PU) coated fabrics. The waterborne PU technology not only enables PU leather to be manufactured without solvent, it also reduces water consumption by up to 95 percent and energy consumption by up to 50 percent in the coating process, according to Bayer.
The company says Insqin gives footware and apparel sector brand owners an integrated package of pure waterborne PU technology, material co-development and a certified manufacturer partner program for PU coated fabrics, fostering a new way of value chain collaboration.
Every year, around 7 billion pairs of shoes, 2 billion bags and 1 billion garments are produced with PU leather and other PU coated fabrics, Bayer says.
By working directly with brand owners and supporting their sourcing and manufacturing partners, Bayer says it will address a wide array of brand owners’ concerns, including product design, manufacturing innovation and environmental performance.
In addition, Bayer is also developing the Insqin Partner Manufacturer Program, a quality assurance scheme in which Bayer helps manufacturers improve sustainable practices, such as reducing resource consumption in coating processes and safe chemical management. Manufacturers will be audited in terms of consistency and high standards in the application of waterborne PU technology, allowing brand owners to source newly developed materials via an Insqin partner list with high efficiency and better transparency in the value chain.
Last month Bayer was among the companies to receive the American Chemistry Council’s Responsible Care Company of the Year award in recognition of their achievements in environmental, health, safety and security.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight