Bacardi Cuts Packaging Weight 90%
Bacardi has reduced its Party Drinks rum bottle packaging weight by 90 percent using recyclable PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastic instead of glass.
The company has also redesigned its bottle for Bacardi Classic Cocktails so it now weighs 30 percent less.
PET also requires less energy to produce than glass, lowers transportation costs and fuel emissions.
Since 2006, Bacardi has reduced the weight of its packaging by more than 7 percent, the company says. The weight reduction is equivalent to taking 1,100 full truckloads off the road.
The sustainable packaging initiatives are a part of the Bacardi Limited Good Spirited global sustainability program.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend
- Energy Management: The Internet of Things Changes Everything
- Big Biogas Project Underway Down Under
- Kroger, Love’s Sign with LSI Industries