Australian Carbon Tax Repealed
Scrapping the carbon tax was a key election promise made by Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who, upon election last year, demanded the upper house recognize his electoral mandate to immediately repeal the emissions trading scheme.
Airliner Virgin Australia indicated in its updated financial guidance for the year that ended June 30, 2013 that the carbon tax, among other things, was having a negative impact on the company’s performance. The company said the pre-tax costs of the carbon tax for the 2013 fiscal year were between $40 million and $45 million, and the costs were unable to be recovered due to a weak economic climate.
The price rose to A$25 ($23.45) this month.
Energy Manager News
- Energy-as-a-Service: Charting a Path Through Complexity
- Demand Energy, EnerSys Complete Storage Project
- Lunera Intros Pathway and Entryway LED
- FPL to Buy and Phase Out Coal-Powered Plant, Saving Customers $129M
- Environmental, Health and Safety Software Moves Forward
- Johnson Controls: Interest, Investment in Energy Efficiency Up
- First-Ever Statewide Endorsement of Retail Supplier, by Delaware, Goes to Direct Energy
- Oberlin, Ohio, Ratepayers to Receive $2.2M in Rebates for Sale of RECs