Australian Carbon Tax Repealed
Scrapping the carbon tax was a key election promise made by Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who, upon election last year, demanded the upper house recognize his electoral mandate to immediately repeal the emissions trading scheme.
Airliner Virgin Australia indicated in its updated financial guidance for the year that ended June 30, 2013 that the carbon tax, among other things, was having a negative impact on the company’s performance. The company said the pre-tax costs of the carbon tax for the 2013 fiscal year were between $40 million and $45 million, and the costs were unable to be recovered due to a weak economic climate.
The price rose to A$25 ($23.45) this month.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners