Growing Organic Skyscraper Could Be Part of London Skyline
A skyscraper made from recycled paper, plastic and modelled on bamboo so that it âgrowsâ as additional floors are needed is being proposed by a French architecture firm for London, according to the Daily Mail.
The work of Chartier-Corbasson architects, the building, already dubbed âThe Organic Skyscraperâ is being proposed for Shoreditch High Street, near the City of London.
Taking its inspiration from bamboo scaffolding used in Asia, the structure of the building could be extended over time as more floor space is needed. Each floor would be made from an interlaced network of standard size tubes and building materials sourced from waste material produced by the offices â mainly old plastic bottles and recycled paper.
The architects believe every worker would produce enough paper and plastic to create enough insulated panels needed to clad new floors.
Recycling plants inside the building would compress the recycling to make the panels, so everything needed would be in-house.
The metal tubes used to build the skyscraper would use the wind to help generate energy using small turbines. The tubes would also help ventilate the building.
Proposed usage of floors would include office space, a conference center, coffee shops, a fitness center, restaurants and an observation deck.
The Paris firm says they are now âlooking for investors,âÂ though new images show the design is in the advanced stages.
With the huge investment needed to fund a normal skyscraper, the architects believe âgrowingâ a building as money is injected is a sensible option.
Photo Credit: Chartier-Corbasson/Rex Features
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest âSmart Buildingâ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight