New England Companies Implement Oil Spill Prevention Measures
Seven companies in New England that store and distribute oil have all created or updated spill prevention plans, come into compliance with federal oil pollution prevention laws, and paid fines ranging from $3,000 to $9,500, according to the EPA.
The companies, located in Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut and Vermont, agreed to pay the penalties under an EPA expedited settlement program. As part of the program, the agency agrees to resolve the cases for reduced penalties with companies that are able to quickly correct violations of the Oil Pollution Prevention regulations, have certain minimum storage capacity and do not have an accompanying spill.
Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure rules give requirements for oil spill prevention, preparedness and response to prevent oil discharges to navigable waters and adjoining shorelines. The rules require specific facilities to prepare, amend and implement SPCC Plans, which are part of the Oil Pollution Prevention regulation.
Penalties were paid by the following companies:
- Lakeside Oil of Marlborough, Mass. and Richards Oil in Northborough, Mass. paid a combined $4,000 penalty
- LS Starrett of Athol, Mass., paid a $5,400 penalty.
- VIP Tour and Charter Bus of Portland, Maine, paid a $4,800 penalty.
- Brewer Pilots Point Marine in Westbrook, Conn., paid a $3,200 penalty.
- Superior Plus Energy Service of Seymour, Conn., paid a $9,500 penalty.
- CV Oil of Pittsfield, Vt., paid a $3,000 penalty.
The cases arose out of a series of inspections over the past two years by the EPA’s New England office.
Photo Credit: Oil spill via Shutterstock
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management