US Utilities Offer EV Tariffs to Increase Customer Engagement
Twenty-five electric utilities across 14 states – including eight of the 15 largest — are now offering electric vehicles rates and tariffs as part of an effort to engage the growing number of customers who drive electric vehicles, according to a study by Northeast Group.
In the Midwest, Minnesota has taken the additional step to mandate that electric utilities offer EV tariffs.
EV rates generally offer steeper discounts at night and during other off-peak hours. Among the 14 states with EV tariffs, the average equivalent “price per gallon” was $0.75. The US Department of Energy calculates that without the EV-specific tariffs, the cost of an “eGallon” would be $1.42. The average cost of gasoline in these states is $3.70.
According to Ben Gardner of Northeast Group, EV owners tend to be more engaged customers, and it is critical that utilities provide them with new rate options for their EVs.
EV sales have roughly doubled each year for the past three years, and a number of companies are seeing the various benefits of greener travel.
- In New Jersey, Public Service and Gas Company has launched a program to encourage New Jersey businesses to provide employees with electric car charging at work by providing smart charging equipment for about 150 cars.
- Last year Kroger announced that together with Ecotality, they would add more than 200 level two quick-charge electric vehicle charging stations and 25 DC fast chargers at Kroger supermarkets across the US.
- Macy’s has announced that they will collaborate with Volta Industries to install 17 new free-to-operate electric vehicle charging stations outside eight Macy’s stores in the Los Angeles area later this year.
While EV sales continue to be strongest in Los Angeles, recent market analysis reveals that EV sales are rapidly on the rise in both Atlanta and Washington, D.C.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment