Bacardi Employees Embrace Company-Wide Sustainability Initiative
Bacardi‚Äôs ‚ÄúGood Spirited‚ÄĚ green initiative, launched earlier this year with¬†the goal of eliminating landfill waste at all of its production sites globally by 2022, is off to a good start according to company reports.
According to Jennifer Eckberg of Bacardi, employees have been quick to embrace the sustainability concept, and are recycling almost everything generated on the bottling lines, on the grounds and in the offices.
The company‚Äôs sustainability program sets specific goals in three areas to help it reach its vision of a net zero impact:
- Responsible Sourcing. The company is working to obtain all raw materials and packaging from sustainably sourced, renewable or recycled materials while maintaining or enhancing the economic status of growers and suppliers. By 2017, the goal is to obtain 40 percent of the sugarcane-derived products used to make Bacardi rum from certified, sustainable sources, with a goal of reaching 100 percent by 2022.
- Global Packaging. Bacardi has committed to use eco-design to craft sustainability into its brand packaging and point-of-sale materials. By 2017, the company plans to reduce the weight of its packaging by 10 percent with a goal of achieving a reduction of 15 percent by 2022.¬† To date, Bacardi¬†has reduced its Party Drinks rum bottle packaging weight by 90 percent using recyclable polyethylene terephthalate plastic instead of glass and is delivering its rum in sustainable packaging.
- Operational Efficiencies. The company continues to focus on reducing water use and greenhouse gas emissions with a 2017 goal to cut water use by 55 percent and GHG emissions by 50 percent.
Since 2006, when Bacardi began tracking its global impact on the environment, it has reduced nonrenewable energy use by 27.7 percent, supported by a 28.5 percent decrease in greenhouse gas emissions from production.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market
- UCLA Creates The L.A. Energy Atlas
- Santa Cruz Saves with Six Battery Tower
- Using the IoT to Drive Power Plant Efficiency