Bacardi Employees Embrace Company-Wide Sustainability Initiative
Bacardiâs âGood Spiritedâ green initiative, launched earlier this year withÂ the goal of eliminating landfill waste at all of its production sites globally by 2022, is off to a good start according to company reports.
According to Jennifer Eckberg of Bacardi, employees have been quick to embrace the sustainability concept, and are recycling almost everything generated on the bottling lines, on the grounds and in the offices.
The companyâs sustainability program sets specific goals in three areas to help it reach its vision of a net zero impact:
- Responsible Sourcing. The company is working to obtain all raw materials and packaging from sustainably sourced, renewable or recycled materials while maintaining or enhancing the economic status of growers and suppliers. By 2017, the goal is to obtain 40 percent of the sugarcane-derived products used to make Bacardi rum from certified, sustainable sources, with a goal of reaching 100 percent by 2022.
- Global Packaging. Bacardi has committed to use eco-design to craft sustainability into its brand packaging and point-of-sale materials. By 2017, the company plans to reduce the weight of its packaging by 10 percent with a goal of achieving a reduction of 15 percent by 2022.Â To date, BacardiÂ has reduced its Party Drinks rum bottle packaging weight by 90 percent using recyclable polyethylene terephthalate plastic instead of glass and is delivering its rum in sustainable packaging.
- Operational Efficiencies. The company continues to focus on reducing water use and greenhouse gas emissions with a 2017 goal to cut water use by 55 percent and GHG emissions by 50 percent.
Since 2006, when Bacardi began tracking its global impact on the environment, it has reduced nonrenewable energy use by 27.7 percent, supported by a 28.5 percent decrease in greenhouse gas emissions from production.
Energy Manager News
- Bruce County, Ontario, Tabs Ecosystem
- Oklahoma University Scores Almost $300K Incentive
- Smart Tech Takes Over, Bolstered By Record Investment
- Amendment 4 in Florida Would Expand Solar Property Tax Exemptions to C&I Ratepayers
- Pennsylvania PUC Approves Temporary Waiver of âInstant Connectâ Confirmation Letters
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program