EPA Publishes Cooling Water Intake Rules
The final rule establishes requirements under the Clean Water Act for all existing power generating facilities and existing manufacturing and industrial facilities that withdraw more than 2 million gallons per day of water from waters of the US and use at least 25 percent of the water they withdraw exclusively for cooling purposes.
This rule covers about 1,065 existing facilities — 521 of these facilities are factories, and the other 544 are power plants. The technologies required under the rule have are in use at over 40 percent of facilities.
Photo Credit: electric power plant via Shutterstock
Energy Manager News
- SWL&P Looks to Increase Electric Revenues by Over $2 Million
- Behind the Meter Podcast: A New Metric for Data Center Cooling
- Schneider Electric’s NEO Network: Helping Make Efficiency Projects Real
- Efficiency Project Complete in Meriden, CT
- BuildingIQ Makes 2 Moves
- Constellation Acquiring Retail Electricity, Natural Gas Businesses from ConEdison Solutions
- Peninsula Clean Energy Authority Chooses Direct Energy as Supplier
- Energy Efficiency is Growing on Farms