Novelis Commissions Largest Recycling Center in Brazil
The investment in the recycling center supports the company’s long-term commitment to increasing the recycled content in its products to 80 percent by 2020. The plant’s recycling center is already the largest in South America.
The initiative also includes a new coating line for beverage can end stock that will add 100,000 metric tons of coating capacity to the operation.
The addition of the new line doubles the company’s capacity to supply coated can end stock and enables Novelis to deliver directly to can customers in the region, a function previously provided by a third-party partner.
The combined projects will cost the company about $106 million.
According to Tadeu Nardocci of Novelis South America, the expansion projects both increase the company’s ability to meet the growing demand for beverage cans in Brazil and enable it to process higher levels of recycled material.
Earlier this year Novelis introduced the world’s first certified high-recycled content aluminum sheet for beverage cans, with Red Hare Brewing being the first company to commercially use the evercan aluminum sheet. The sheet is made of a minimum 90 percent recycled content.
Last year Novelis commissioned the expansion of an aluminum recycling plant in the UK, increasing the plant’s capacity by more than a third. The expansion will make it Europe’s largest closed-loop recycling operation for automotive aluminum rolled products, according to the company.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management