ASTM Proposes Sustainable Manufacturing Standard
A proposed ASTM International standard aims to help industry adopt more sustainable and environmentally friendly practices by informing manufacturers how they can incorporate sustainability into their daily operations.
WK35702, Guide for Evaluation of Environmental Aspects of Sustainability of Manufacturing Processes, describes methods to enhance resource efficiency, considering environmental impacts, at the manufacturing process level.
Primary users of WK35702, once it has been approved, will be small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) looking to implement more sustainable and environmentally friendly practices into their production line.
WK35702 is being developed by Subcommittee E60.13 on Sustainable Manufacturing, part of ASTM International E60 on Sustainability. The subcommittee invites participation in the development of WK35702 and other proposed standards, including the following:
- WK35703, Terminology for Sustainable Manufacturing;
- WK35705, Guide for Sustainability Characterization of Manufacturing Processes; and
- WK38312, Classification for Waste Generated at Manufacturing Facilities and Associated Claims.
In addition to the sustainable manufacturing standards, an ASTM standard to reduce the reduce the impact of contaminated stormwater entering local drains is also in the works.
WK45326, Specification for Stormwater Catch Basin Filter, will aid community developments, sports facilities, fairgrounds, stadiums and factories in complying with EPA clean water initiatives, the standards and certification organization says.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform