ASTM Proposes Sustainable Manufacturing Standard
A proposed ASTM International standard aims to help industry adopt more sustainable and environmentally friendly practices by informing manufacturers how they can incorporate sustainability into their daily operations.
WK35702, Guide for Evaluation of Environmental Aspects of Sustainability of Manufacturing Processes, describes methods to enhance resource efficiency, considering environmental impacts, at the manufacturing process level.
Primary users of WK35702, once it has been approved, will be small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) looking to implement more sustainable and environmentally friendly practices into their production line.
WK35702 is being developed by Subcommittee E60.13 on Sustainable Manufacturing, part of ASTM International E60 on Sustainability. The subcommittee invites participation in the development of WK35702 and other proposed standards, including the following:
- WK35703, Terminology for Sustainable Manufacturing;
- WK35705, Guide for Sustainability Characterization of Manufacturing Processes; and
- WK38312, Classification for Waste Generated at Manufacturing Facilities and Associated Claims.
In addition to the sustainable manufacturing standards, an ASTM standard to reduce the reduce the impact of contaminated stormwater entering local drains is also in the works.
WK45326, Specification for Stormwater Catch Basin Filter, will aid community developments, sports facilities, fairgrounds, stadiums and factories in complying with EPA clean water initiatives, the standards and certification organization says.
Energy Manager News
- Transmission Upgrades Give SPP a $240M ‘Bang for the Buck’
- Data Analytics Deepens its Hold on Facilities
- Global Plate and Frame Heat Exchanger Market Growing
- Duke Energy Renewables, Lockheed Martin Sign PPA
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending Jan. 29
- FERC Probes High Rates of Four Interstate Gas Pipeline Companies
- Rhode Island Launches Retail Shopping Website
- Successful Energy Managers Follow these 10 Tactics