ASTM Proposes Sustainable Manufacturing Standard
A proposed ASTM International standard aims to help industry adopt more sustainable and environmentally friendly practices by informing manufacturers how they can incorporate sustainability into their daily operations.
WK35702, Guide for Evaluation of Environmental Aspects of Sustainability of Manufacturing Processes, describes methods to enhance resource efficiency, considering environmental impacts, at the manufacturing process level.
Primary users of WK35702, once it has been approved, will be small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) looking to implement more sustainable and environmentally friendly practices into their production line.
WK35702 is being developed by Subcommittee E60.13 on Sustainable Manufacturing, part of ASTM International E60 on Sustainability. The subcommittee invites participation in the development of WK35702 and other proposed standards, including the following:
- WK35703, Terminology for Sustainable Manufacturing;
- WK35705, Guide for Sustainability Characterization of Manufacturing Processes; and
- WK38312, Classification for Waste Generated at Manufacturing Facilities and Associated Claims.
In addition to the sustainable manufacturing standards, an ASTM standard to reduce the reduce the impact of contaminated stormwater entering local drains is also in the works.
WK45326, Specification for Stormwater Catch Basin Filter, will aid community developments, sports facilities, fairgrounds, stadiums and factories in complying with EPA clean water initiatives, the standards and certification organization says.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls