Farmers Generate Energy from Coffee Wastewater
The Energy from Coffee Wastewater project was launched by UTZ Certified in 2010 in Central America with the goal of addressing environmental and health problems caused by the wastewater produced in the coffee industry.
Latin America produces around 70 percent of the world’s coffee, and production generates a large amount of highly toxic wastewater that is released untreated into rivers, affecting plants, fish and downstream communities.
As part of the project, custom-made coffee wastewater treatment systems and solid-waste treatment mechanisms were installed in coffee farms in Nicaragua, Honduras and Guatemala. Results of the project included:
- Generation of a significant amount of biogas which was used to power households and coffee mills
- Water reduction of over 50 percent in coffee processing
- Prevention of greenhouse gas emissions
- Prevention of local deforestation of native trees
- Treatment of essentially all water used in coffee processing
UTZ Certified is currently introducing the technology in Peru and Brazil, and hopes to replicate the initiative in Africa and Asia.
Coffee waste has been at the heart of several sustainability efforts recently. Earlier this year, a London-based company, Bio-bean, announced plans to recycle waste coffee grounds and convert them into biofuels. Similarly, other organizations such as Starbucks, Nestle and the University of Cincinnati are already turning spent coffee grounds into bioplastics, laundry detergents and biodiesel.
Photo Credit: Coffee via Shutterstock
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments