Hyatt Sets 2020 Environmental Goals
Hyatt Hotels has committed to reducing water use per guest night by 25 percent by 2020 — one of the hotel chain’s new environmental goals announced yesterday.
The Hyatt 2020 Vision sets targets across three focus areas: use resources thoughtfully, build smart, and innovate and inspire.
Use Resources Thoughtfully: Hyatt says it will identify ways for its hotels to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, use less water, produce less waste and make more environmentally responsible purchasing decisions. This includes reducing energy use and greenhouse gas emissions per square meter by 25 percent, compared to 2006.
In addition to its 25 percent water reduction goal, Hyatt says within water-stressed areas it will reduce water use per guest night by 30 percent.
Additionally, every hotel will reach a 40 percent waste diversion rate, as well as by setting a recycling goal for renovation waste.
Build Smart: Beginning in 2015, all new construction and major renovation projects contracted for Hyatt-managed hotels will be expected to follow enhanced sustainable design guidelines. Hyatt will mandate that all new construction and major renovation projects for wholly owned full service hotels and resorts achieve LEED certification, or an equivalent certification.
Innovate and Inspire: This includes Hyatt’s commitment to create a funding mechanism to advance environmental sustainability in its hotels, and the broader hospitality industry, worldwide.
Earlier this month Hyatt launched a global initiative to increase procurement of responsibly sourced seafood at its hotels, starting with an initial goal of responsibly sourcing more than 50 percent of their inventory by 2018.
Energy Manager News
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Month’s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier