Tenneco Unveils Tier 3 Emission Control Technologies
US EPA Tier 3 emissions standards are aimed at significantly reducing criteria pollutants in tailpipe emissions for light-duty passenger cars and trucks beginning in 2017. These criteria pollutants include particulate matter, nitrogen oxides and non-methane organic gases, which contribute to increased ambient ozone levels.
The demonstration vehicle featured Tennecoâ€™s fabricated manifolds, which offer weight reduction of up to 50 percent compared with traditional cast manifolds. Test data confirms that fabricated manifolds can also achieve temperature benefits of up to 50 degrees Celsius, which can result in faster catalyst light off and improved overall catalyst efficiency.
Other systems that will be added to the vehicle and tested in the coming months include:
- Catalytic converter systems. Tennecoâ€™s latest converter designs meet the most stringent vibration, temperature and durability requirements, and its processing incorporates precise density control to ensure consistent quality and has integrated placement of sensors for controls and diagnostics.
- Air gap pipe. Tennecoâ€™s air gap pipe is a double-walled exhaust pipe with an â€œair gap” between layers of pipe to promote insulation and allow faster converter light-off for reduced emissions.
- Waste heat recovery. Tenneco is developing technologies to either recycle or convert wasted engine heat, and its heat exchanger uses exhaust heat to help the powertrain reach its most efficient operating temperature faster. Heat exchangers also offer benefits for stop-start engine and hybrid applications.
Both the US and China have recently pledged to cut carbon emissions, which has parts suppliers such as Tenneco battling for market share in the sector.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses