Top 25 Green Football Schools Ranked
SaveOnEnergy.com compared the 25 universities with criteria including stadium sustainability efforts, number of active green organizations, waste diversion rate, percentage of budget spent on locally grown or organic foods, and level of environmental studies degrees offered.
The University of Washington earned the top spot on the list for its Husky Stadium’s in-game recycling promotion, public area composting, and participation in a national waste diversion challenge. In addition, the university’s $250 million stadium renovation is expected to receive a LEED medal for preservation, recycling and environmentalism.
The university has 45 green organizations, a waste diversion rate of 58 percent, and spends 59 percent of its budget on locally grown or organic foods.
The full rankings are as follows.
1. University of Washington
2. Stanford University
3. Ohio State University
4. Texas A&M University
5. University of California – Los Angeles
6. University of North Carolina
7. Clemson University
8. Florida State University
9. University of Nebraska
10. University of Wisconsin
11. University of Oregon (tie)
11. University of Notre Dame (tie)
13. University of South Carolina (tie)
13. University of Georgia (tie)
15. Michigan State University
16. Arizona State University
17. University of Missouri
18. University of Oklahoma
19. University of Southern California
20. Louisiana State University
21. Baylor University
22. Auburn University
23. Kansas State University
24. University of Mississippi
25. University of Alabama
Washington, Stanford and the University of North Carolina were among the universities selected by the Federal Aviation Administration last year to lead a new Air Transportation Center of Excellence to help develop cleaner jet fuels and explore ways to meet next-generation air transportation environmental and energy goals.
In addition, Washington, Stanford and UCLA were named in the Princeton Review Green Honor Roll last year.
Photo credit: University of Washington via Shutterstock
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Using the IoT to Drive Power Plant Efficiency
- Three NJ Communities Say No to School HVAC System Upgrades
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending September 24
- Researchers Make Gains on Combined Energy Systems, Heat Exchangers
- School Projects in MA, CO
- Pattern Energy Completes 200 MW Logan’s Gap Wind Facility in Texas
- Marine Corps Upgrading 37 Buildings at Camp Lejeune, N.C.
- Photovoltaic Projects in TN, CT