Carbon Offsetting Benefits $664 Per Credit, Study Says
Offsetting 1 metric ton of carbon dioxide brings an additional $664 in benefits to the communities where carbon reduction projects are based, according to research by Imperial College London in partnership with the International Carbon Reduction and Offsetting Alliance.
This meaning that businesses that are voluntarily offsetting their emissions are having a bigger impact than perceived, the authors say.
The study also says that businesses with carbon offsetting programs report corporate benefits such as enhanced brand image, engaged employees and market differentiation.
The research demonstrates how purchasing carbon credits creates economic development opportunities, aids environmental conservation, helps deliver health benefits and improves water resources, among other benefits.
In July, United Airlines launched a business tool for corporate cargo customers to track and offset the emissions associated with their air freight accounts.
Energy Manager News
- Efficiency Project Complete in Meriden, CT
- BuildingIQ Makes 2 Moves
- Constellation Acquiring Retail Electricity, Natural Gas Businesses from ConEdison Solutions
- Peninsula Clean Energy Authority Chooses Direct Energy as Supplier
- Energy Efficiency is Growing on Farms
- DC Pushes Renewables
- Stockton Tabs Ygrene for PACE Financing
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: July 22, 2016