RGGI Carbon Auction Brings In $87.8 Million
The clearing price is slightly lower than that of the previous carbon auction, at which allowances sold for $5.02.
The most recent allowances sold represent 100 percent of the allowances offered for sale by the nine Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic participating states.
The auction generated $87.8 million for reinvestment by the RGGI states in a variety of consumer benefit initiatives, including energy efficiency, renewable energy, direct bill assistance and greenhouse gas abatement programs. Cumulative proceeds from all 25 RGGI carbon auctions currently total $1.8 billion dollars.
According to the independent market monitorâ€™s report, electricity generators and their corporate affiliates have won 78 percent of CO2 allowances sold in RGGI auctions since 2008.
Photo Credit: industrial plant emissions via Shutterstock
Energy Manager News
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Monthâ€™s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier
- New Refrigerant Rules Will Have Long Term Impact
- Building Data Platform from Leviton
- Athens, OH, Nears $4.28M Retrofit Project