Staples Canada Announces Sustainability Achievements, Partnership
Staples Canada has announced a number of sustainability achievements for its second quarter, and is also expanding its partnership with Bullfrog Power, Canadaâ€™s renewable energy provider, to include four copy and print center locations.
The copy and print production centers changing over to Bullfrog Power are located in Burnaby, BC, Mississauga, ON, Laval, QC, and Calgary, AB.
The companyâ€™s sustainability achievements for Q2 include:
- Working with Call2Recycle, diverting 28,403 kilograms of batteries from landfills through collection efforts in its stores.
- Collecting over 710,000 used ink cartridges from customers.
- Working with eCycle Solutions, collecting 1,136.64 metric tons of electronics, a 38.4 percent increase over Q1 2014.
- Working with TerraCycle and Newell Rubbermaid, collecting 5,926 writing instruments â€“ including pens, pencils, markers and highlighters.
- Through its Driver Take Back program, collecting 10,188.5 kg of electronics, 122,175 cartridges and 104.7 kg of batteries.
In addition, the company is offering a number of eco-responsible products, including Sustainable Earth by Staples eco-friendly filler paper and sugarcane-based notebooks, both made from 80 percent sugarcane plant fiber waste, Staples 100 percent recycled poly report cover, made with 100 percent post-consumer recycled plastic, and Fuel K2 recyclable sandwich box, made using an eco-design approach from low environmental impact materials.
Staples is also increasing its assortment and sales of eco-responsible copy and printer paper.Â In Q2, over 50 percent of all copy and printer paper sold in Staples featured recycled content or a third party certification such as Forest Stewardship Council, or both.
Last month Staples Advantage, the business-to-business division of Staples, announced that it had partnered with Electronic Recyclers International to launch a service to make it easier for businesses to recycle old electronics.
In June, Staples and Packsize International jointly won the Gold Sustainability top honor from the World Packaging Organization for Staplesâ€™ new smart-size packaging which uses 15 percent less corrugated, has about 60 percent less void fill, and an improvement in less-than-full-case average cube utilization by 20 percent.
Energy Manager News
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy to Launch Its â€˜Source-to-Payâ€™ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger