Diamond Packaging Achieves Zero Waste to Landfill
The company has set a goal of zero waste to landfill.
Zero manufacturing waste to landfill is defined by Diamond Packaging as 100 percent landfill waste diversion through a combination of recycling and energy recovery solutions. In Diamond’s case it accounts for all waste related to the manufacture of folding cartons, including paperboard, plastic, metal, industrial waste and regulated waste, with the exception of construction and demolition waste.
Diamond says it achieved its goal through partnerships with Cascades Recovery, Covanta Sustainable Solutions Group and Advanced Waste Solutions. The company created a collaborative task force to audit manufacturing and recovery methods and seek positive end-of-life scenarios for all waste streams.
To achieve zero manufacturing waste to landfill status, Diamond’s two manufacturing facilities reduced their overall waste streams and increased recycling rates to about 98 percent. All remaining waste is sent for fuels blending or to Covanta Energy for waste-to-energy.
The zero manufacturing waste to landfill initiative provides economic benefits through improved recovery and recycling rates for paperboard, plastic, and metals, and reduced overall disposal costs, the company says.
Earlier this month Ford said its Oakville Assembly plant now sends no operational waste-to-landfill, an achievement that gives the automaker the distinction of becoming landfill-free at all its manufacturing facilities in Canada.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool