CO2 Solutions Starts Pilot Unit Construction
CO2 Solutions entered into the agreement with Husky Energy in April to install and operate the pilot unit. The unit is located at Husky’s Pikes Peak South heavy oil site in Saskatchewan.
To accommodate operating parameters within the project budget, the facility will be sized to capture up to 10 metric tons of CO2 per day. The project is funded in part by Canada‘s ecoENERGY Innovation Initiative program.
Construction is expected to be completed in early calendar Q1 2015, with commissioning of the unit scheduled for that same quarter. Operation of the unit is expected to conclude in calendar Q3 of 2015, which will represent over 2,500 hours of field operation of the technology.
In April, the company announced it had exceeded the second set of technical performance milestones in large bench-scale testing, validating the technology’s ability to realistically lower the cost of CO2 capture to significantly below that of current carbon capture technologies.
According to Evan Price of CO2 Solutions, completion of the project will help the company toward its goal of becoming a major low-cost provider of CO2 and also allow it to pursue other opportunities in commercial application of the technology, such as enhanced oil recovery.
Last year the company announced it had demonstrated that its enzyme-enabled carbon capture technology was at least one-third less expensive than existing carbon capture technology in terms of energy consumption.
In September, the company signed an agreement with the University of North Dakota Energy & Environmental Research Center to test its technology at EERC’s testing facility using natural gas and coal flue gas in December.
Energy Manager News
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Month’s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier