E-Stewards Launches E-Waste App
The environmental watchdog group Basel Action Network has launched a mobile app that will measure the positive environmental impacts of using e-Stewards Certified Recyclers to manage electronic waste.
E-Stewards Certification is the only standard that forbids export of toxic e-waste to developing countries, the use of prison and child labor, and the deposit of toxic e-waste in municipal landfills or incinerators. It is also recognized for ensuring that private data from electronic devices does not get released, and recycling workers are protected from toxic exposure.
The e-Stewards Global Impact Calculator app, currently available on the Apple Store for free, provides three different metrics of sustainability:
- Greenhouse gases avoided;
- Toxic metals diverted from landfill or global dumping; and
- Valuable and precious metals recovered.
BAN created the e-Stewards program for ethical recycling of e-waste after discovering that as much as 80 percent of used electronics delivered to recyclers is not recycled but rather loaded onto container ships and sent to primitive scrapping operations in Africa or China.
Earlier this month WarpSpeed Innovations has become an e-Stewards Enterprise and committed to pursue environmentally responsible recycling practices for e-waste.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool