Green Fleet Roundup: Boeing, Indianapolis, SCT Fleet Solutions
Boeing and Commercial Aircraft of China have opened a demonstration facility that will turn waste cooking oil into aviation biofuel. The two companies estimate that 500 million gallons of biofuel could be made annually in China from used cooking oil.
Indianapolis will deploy the largest municipal fleet of electrified vehicles in the nation by early 2016, under a new program by Mayor Greg Ballard. Through the initiative with Vision Fleet, the city will upgrade 425 non-police pursuit sedans to plug-in hybrid and pure electric vehicles.
SCT Fleet Solutions has changed its name to Derive Efficiency. Derive Efficiency customizes the software of a fleet vehicle’s powertrain (engine and transmission) to operate the vehicle more efficiently and safely.
The Center for Process Innovation has proposed an airplane design with floor-to-ceiling wraparound screens. The design eliminates windows in order to reduce the overall weight of the plane, cutting down on fuel consumption, costs and carbon emissions.
ZTR Control Systems has a new contract with DB Schenker Rail, Germany, where ZTR will supply more than 300 SmartStart Automatic Engine Start-Stop systems by early 2015. The deal was signed at InnoTrans 2014 and installation on DB Schenker’s BR294 locomotive fleet has already begun.
Plug Power has announced Golden State Foods has deployed its GenDrive hydrogen fuel cells in the material handling fleet at its new food distribution center in Illinois. Plug Power will supply GenDrive fuel cells to power 39 material handling vehicles.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool