Diageo Commits to Water, Carbon Cuts
This pledge is one of the company’s 20 new sustainability and responsibility targets, to be achieved by 2020.
Among the environmental targets:
- Reduce water use through a 50 percent improvement in water use efficiency.
- Replenish the amount of water used in final product in water stressed areas.
- Equip suppliers with tools to protect water resources in the most water stressed area.
- Reduce absolute GHG emissions from direct operations by 50 percent, and achieve a 30 percent reduction along the total supply chain.
- Ensure all new refrigeration equipment in trade are HFC-free with a reduction in associated GHG emissions from 2015.
- Reduce total packaging by 15 percent, while increasing recycled content to 45 percent and making 100 percent of packaging recyclable.
- Sustainably source all paper and board packaging to ensure zero net deforestation.
- Achieve zero waste to landfill.
The baseline year for all environment targets except packaging is 2007. The baseline for packaging targets is 2009.
Diageo is one of the “low-carbon leaders” highlighted in Corporate Citizenship’s report, The Low-Carbon Company, which makes the business case for decarbonization.
Energy Manager News
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool
- Veolia Checks Into the UK’s Tallest Hotel
- Massachusetts Aims for Critical Care Resiliency
- State of Michigan and MISO Propose Retail Capacity Charge
- Breaking the Ice with Thermal Energy Storage