ClearSign Inks Deal for Emissions Control at California Refinery
ClearSign Combustion Corporation, a provider of combustion and emissions control technology for industrial, commercial and utility markets, has signed an agreement to deploy its Duplex burner technology at Tricor Refining LLC’s refinery in Bakersfield, California.
Tricor will retrofit a single-burner 15 MMBtu/hr vertical refinery heater with ClearSign’s Duplex burner architecture. The heater was mothballed in 1984 because no technology existed to allow it to economically meet emissions targets; with the retrofit, Tricor will be able to re-commission the burner, expanding plant capacity and profitability while meeting environmental requirements in a cost-effective manner, the company says. ClearSign will execute this project in collaboration with Advanced Combustion and Process Controls, Inc., a supply chain partner who will oversee the installation.
In 2013, ClearSign Combustion said it had successfully demonstrated an 80 percent to 90 percent reduction in NOx emissions by retrofitting a conventional off-the-shelf commercial burner in a system designed to closely resemble a standard commercial firetube boiler.
CEO Rick Rutkowski said the system demonstrated that ClearSign’s Duplex technology may be adapted to many of the hundreds of thousands of similar commercial and industrial boilers in use worldwide.
Energy Manager News
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool
- Veolia Checks Into the UK’s Tallest Hotel
- Massachusetts Aims for Critical Care Resiliency
- State of Michigan and MISO Propose Retail Capacity Charge
- Breaking the Ice with Thermal Energy Storage
- Ameresco to Upgrade Federal Prison in Butner, NC
- Alpen Introduces Window Package Rated at R10 Insulation