Sage Opens IT Repurposing Center in Reno
Sage Sustainable Electronics is opening a repurposing center in Reno, Nevada.
The company works with businesses when they retire technology, transitioning the used electronics for further use while keeping confidential information safe. It says the new facility complements Sage’s flagship repurposing center in Columbus that opened in early January.
The Reno facility will serve businesses throughout the western states. It will be especially beneficial for California companies because logistics costs will be more than offset by the savings in sales taxes, says Sage president Jill Vaské.
Sage accepts all types of technology for repurposing, including computers, phones and tablets, and data center equipment.
When recycling is necessary, Sage relies on its strategic partner, Hugo Neu Recycling, an e-Stewards certified electronics recycler.
Sage suggests that companies in the process of replacing old IT equipment track their “Reusable Yield” — the percentage of total retirements that go to reuse versus recycling.
“A five year old laptop may only be worth $100,” says Sage CEO Robert Houghton. “But the value of the raw materials recovered by recycling would be less than $5. Reusable Yield is the metric that best predicts the financial and sustainability results from your asset disposition process.”
The Reno facility will be followed by a new repurposing center in Baltimore, Maryland early in the second quarter. The company plans additional centers during the second half of 2015.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool