Mobility Tools Drive 3PL Efficiency
Third-party logistics (3PL) providers can use mobile technology to drive efficiency in the manufacturing supply chain and improve their competitive advantage, according to a report from IDC Manufacturing Insights.
As mobile technology continues to evolve, supply chains will continue to find opportunities to leverage and apply mobility. Perspective: Use of Mobility Tools in the 3PL Industry says mobile technology for the 3PL is especially critical when considering that the 3PL must create a balance between its customer, its customers’ customer, and its internal operations.
Some of the mobile applications relevant to the 3PL include:
- Mobile analytics dashboards
- Alerting and reporting directly to mobile devices
- Improved track and trace capabilities
- GPS location for in-transit inventory
- Physical conditions monitoring
- Instant access to critical documentation
- Mobile access to CRM
According to the report, the utilization of mobility within 3PL operations helps to provide visibility of operational, performance, and product data to the shippers while also providing product location, availability, and chain of custody to the customer. Such insight is outfitting the end-to-end supply chain with valuable data relative to the movement of goods and providing actionable insights by which supply chain partners can work together to drive even greater efficiencies within the supply chain.
An IDC report published earlier this year found the future of factories is “smart manufacturing,” which can also deliver financial benefits.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency by Improving the Owner/Tenant Relationship
- Case Study: Fast Payback in New York City
- $8M Project to Upgrade Chillicothe (OH) Correctional Institute
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency