W Hotels to Use Recycled Plastic Bottles in Sheets
W Hotels Worldwide, in partnership with Coca-Cola and music artist will.i.am, says it will soon use sheets and bedside chargers made in part with recycled plastic bottles.
The Ekocycle brand sheets will first roll out into W Hotels in North America with global properties to follow. Each king size sheet set uses about 31 recycled 20-oz. plastic bottles — which equates to more than 268,000 plastic bottles across all W Hotel beds in North America.
Coca-Cola and will.i.am partnered to create Ekocycle in August 2012.
W Hotels and the Ekocycle team also created a “Mobile Charger and Accessory Valet” (MCAV), is a multi-tasking USB charging device that also acts as a jewelry/watch stand and an alarm clock.
Developed by Miniwiz, an engineering firm from Taipei focused exclusively on post-consumer recycled material design applications, the MCAV is partially created out of three recycled plastic bottles. These devices will soon be bedside in every W Hotel room around the world, the hotel chain says.
Energy Manager News
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool
- Veolia Checks Into the UK’s Tallest Hotel
- Massachusetts Aims for Critical Care Resiliency
- State of Michigan and MISO Propose Retail Capacity Charge
- Breaking the Ice with Thermal Energy Storage
- Ameresco to Upgrade Federal Prison in Butner, NC
- Alpen Introduces Window Package Rated at R10 Insulation