Next-Generation Sorting for Metal Recycling
The sorting system Redwave XRF was initially used in the field of glass sorting, for the separation of heat-resistant and leaded glass from the waste glass cullet. The company says soon it became apparent that the fields of application go far beyond the glass sector.
The use of this technology together with the development of a new machine design set new standards in the metal sorting, in particular the sorting of nonferrous metals. Using this technology it is possible to separate also material which, up to now, was considered as not sortable, Redwave says.
Besides the high throughput and purity, the flexible and versatile application possibility of the XRF sorting technology is a great advantage compared to sorting techniques such as camera or X-ray transmission. The applicability of the X-ray fluorescence technology is very multifaceted and not limited to one material class or application.
Compared to other technologies, moisture, coloring and surface contamination have no significant negative impact on the detection. High-purity metal fractions are produced due to the sorting processes, which can be sold directly and profitably.
Assuming the current revenues for the recovered metals for the sorting of ZORBA, the payback of the machine including labor and operating costs shall be reached in less than a year, the company says.
The flexibility of the XRF technique and the sophisticated sorting logic make it possible to respond to changes of the sorting processes as quick as possible. A variety of sorting steps can be carried out with the same machine and different preset sorting programs.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency by Improving the Owner/Tenant Relationship
- Case Study: Fast Payback in New York City
- $8M Project to Upgrade Chillicothe (OH) Correctional Institute
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency