UTC Aerospace Systems Sets 6% Water Reduction Goal
UTC Aerospace Systems says it will reduce water consumption by 41 million gallons in 2015 — a 6 percent reduction against 2014 figures. The aerospace company conserved 75 million gallons of water in 2014 and 2015, a 10 percent reduction since 2013.
UTC Aerospace Systems has 140 sites in more than 17 countries. Of these, 39 are located in water scarce regions and use manufacturing processes that require large amounts of water.
The company has undertaken a number of initiatives to reduce its water consumption. The company’s Aerostructures business based in Chula Vista, California, for example, replaced 51,000 square feet of lawn with a seven-foot wide walkway of decomposed granite, “water-smart” plants and decorative stone ground cover. This landscaping helped the site conserve two million gallons of water.
The company’s Dijon, France, facility installed a rainwater tank to collect water for use in sanitary equipment and has reduced water consumption by 10 percent. More than 110 UTC Aerospace Systems sites are now evaluating this process for their facilities, and a site in Bangalore, India, now recycles 100 percent of its water through an on-site treatment facility and rainwater collection.
UTC Aerospace Systems is a unit of United Technologies.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool